Freelancers in Italy

An EU national or a permanent resident with a certificato di residenza, may become self-employed (lavoro autonomo), work freelance (libero professionista) or operate as a sole trader (imprenditore or ditta individuale) in Italy.

A Permesso di Soggiorno needs to be changed to a Permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo/indipendente (how easy this may be done depends on nationality and status).


Certain legal requirements must be met. For example:

  • be included on the Register of Enterprises (Registro delle Imprese) maintained by the local chamber of commerce (Camera di commercio di Roma)
  • obtain a certificate of registration (certificato di iscrizione)
  • register with the local tax office (intendenza di finanza)
  • be registered for VAT (Imposta sul Valore Aggiunto, IVA)


Self-employed people may wish to join the Camere di Commercio, which provides a range of information and assistance for the self-employed and those running their own businesses, including supplementary health insurance and help in dealing with Italian bureaucracy, taxation and social security.


Extract from Living and Working in Italy (3rd Edition, 2007) edited by Graeme Chesters (Available as eBook or order from Amazon) Published by Survival Books Ltd Copyright © Survival Books Ltd All Rights Reserved