How to find accommodation?

The most popular websites are:

Rentals between individuals:

A private landlord has the right to ask for information on their future tenant’s financial situation. For information, you may be asked to provide the following documents:

  1. Photo ID (identity card, residence permit, passport or driver’s license).
  2. Your last three rent receipts, or a proof of address, or a declaration by the individual who is housing you, or your most recent property tax notice, or a title deed for your primary residence.
  3. A copy of your employment contract or any other document proving that you are in employment.
  4. Your last three pay slips or, if you are self-employed, your last two balance sheets.
  5. Your last or penultimate income tax notice.

The landlord can also ask you to name a guarantor who will cover any debts that you may subsequently incur. This guarantor may be a private individual (family member, friend, etc.) or a legal entity (bank or other organization) located in France. The guarantor must also supply information regarding their solvency (financial resources, expenses, etc.).

Relocation agencies:

Firms that specialize in helping skilled employees and their families relocate to France. Their role is to facilitate a family’s move to France. The services they offer range from obtaining the official documents required (visa, work permit, residence permit, etc.) and searching for accommodation, to finding schools for children and employment for spouses, as well as helping with learning the local language.

Apartment hunters:

Professionals who specialize in searching for apartments and houses. After an in-depth interview to determine the needs of the individual or family, apartment hunters search for an ideal home on their behalf.

Real estate agents:

When a property owner chooses to use an estate agent, the fees are shared between the owner and the future tenant. To find an estate agent, you can contact the relevant trade associations.