An EU national or a permanent resident with a certificato di residenza, may become self-employed (lavoro autonomo), work freelance (libero professionista) or operate as a sole trader (imprenditore or ditta individuale) in Italy.

Permesso di Soggiorno needs to be changed to a Permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo/indipendente (how easy this may be done depends on nationality and status).


Certain legal requirements must be met. For example:


Self-employed people may wish to join the Camera di Commercio, which provides a range of information and assistance for the self-employed and those running their own businesses, including supplementary health insurance and help in dealing with Italian bureaucracy, taxation and social security.


Extract from Living and Working in Italy (3rd Edition, 2007) edited by Graeme Chesters (Available as eBook or order from Amazon) Published by Survival Books LtdCopyright © Survival Books Ltd All Rights Reserved