National Health Insurance

The National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme is part of the Finnish social security system. Some of the expenses it covers are:

  • a share of private doctors’ fees
  • a share of the costs for examinations and treatments prescribed by a private doctor
  • a share of the fees of private dentists and of the costs for examinations prescribed by them
  • a share of your medication costs
  • a share of your illness-related transportation costs.

To qualify for reimbursement, the treatment provided must be medically necessary due to illness, pregnancy or childbirth. The NHI scheme also provides Sickness Allowances (compensation for loss of income during incapacity for work) and Partial Sickness Allowances.

As a rule, all permanent residents of Finland are covered under the NHI scheme. Permanent residence means that you are domiciled and spend most of your time in Finland. Employees and self-employed people are typically covered under the NHI system as soon as they start employment or self-employment provided that it will last at least 4 months, or as soon as they have been self-employed in Finland for at least 4 months (regardless of whether they live in Finland). All permanent residents of Finland are covered by personal health insurance Kela card, which they need to show at the pharmacy or the medical clinic.

As a general rule, if you move abroad for more than a year you lose your eligibility under the NHI scheme.

Voluntary health insurance

For additional health insurance covering more of private clinic costs please refer to your insurance provider.

Home insurance

It is recommendable to take out home insurance. It is usually required to have home insurance for your rental apartment. Home insurance covers, for example, damage to your furniture and other articles. Home insurance policies are sold by insurance companies.

Motor Vehicle Insurance

According to law, you must take out a motor insurance if you use your own car. If you move to Finland with your car please see about the details of registering the vehicle in Finland, taxes and insurances.

More information on Finnish Transport Safety Agency website

You can search insurance service providers  through Financial Supervisory Authority