Residence Permit

European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals can settle in the Netherlands without needing a Dutch residence permit. Furthermore, they can apply for a permanent residence permit after 5 years of uninterrupted stay in the Netherlands. Nationals outside the EEA and Switzerland can make use of different procedures, depending on their situation. Examples are the permit for self-employed workers, work permit and the startup visa. Click this link for more info or visit the website of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).

Registration at the municipality

Everyone who is planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months has to be registered at the municipality where he or she resides. This must be done within at least 5 days after arrival. Highly skilled migrants can in most cases arrange this registration on the IN Amsterdam Website. Others have to make an appointment directly at the municipality. Click here for more information.

Highly Skilled Migrant

For highly skilled migrants, also called knowledge migrants, a special entry procedure is available. This procedure allows highly skilled migrants to receive a residence permit in an efficient way. Click here to see what the requirements are and if you are eligible for this procedure.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

When your registration at the Expatcenter or municipality is successful, you will receive the citizen service number (BSN). With this number you are able to open bank accounts, permitted to work and able to make use of healthcare institutions.


Make sure that you will create a Digi D account after receiving your Citizen Service Number (BSN). Your Digi D account is basically your digital passport and will be asked for on the websites of many public and health institutions. You can apply on the Digi D website. The registration form, however, is in Dutch.